About Me

My photo
I'm Kassandra an Oregon girl at heart. Attorney at Law. My parents are both U.S. army veterans and continue to serve in the military in other capacities. I have four brothers (two older, two younger) and three sisters (all younger). I love each of them for all of their individualities and their commitments to the examples set by our parents. Aside from my family, I have several friends who mean a great deal to me. Notable are my best friend from high school and my best friend from college, I'm strong in analytical thinking. I am able to process things from several viewpoints simultaneously. I'm open and honest. Note: I'm interested in receiving feedback on this blog, but I request that the comments pertain to the actual blog itself, and I do not approve anonymous comments.

Sunday, March 6, 2011

parents' weekend and that guy

well, what a whirlwind month this has been. it seems as if there is so much to tell.

parents' weekend

parents' weekend at school was slated for the weekend of february 25-27, with most events scheduled for saturday the 26th. of course, this coincides with my birthday, which falls on the 27th.

Julie's parents were coming up from oxnard and everyone I know had at least one family member showing up. unfortunately, my mom and dad told me it would not be possible for them to come. i couldn't blame them – if there was any way possible, they would have been there.

in lieu of this, i decided to invite my oldest brother and future sister-in-law, who live in san francisco. at least i could take them around campus and show them about my life here at school. Brian and Carla have been supportive of me and I’ve benefited from being near them as i go through my freshman year in college. we decided they would meet me at my dorm at about 8:30 saturday morning, start with a tour, and then do a video conference with my parents and other siblings back home in portland.

i got up saturday morning and something seemed off. just a little weird. i dismissed it and headed out for my 3.2-mile morning run, which i do four times a week. Julie was up and talking on the phone with her parents when i left.

i made my way around my little course and park to the parking lot where i passed my car. Julie was out near it and urged me to walk with her back inside.

i stopped. froze is more like it. i saw the impossible, and it took my breathe away.

in front of my dorm, milling around and smiling, were my dad, mom, youngest brother Keith and two youngest sisters, Angela and Monika. they had surprised and shocked me. they'd kept this visit a secret, which is not easy to do in my family the size of mine. i would find out later that they had someone on the inside. Julie had not been on the phone with her parents; she had been on the phone with mine!

as our conversations transpired, i was informed that there was never any doubt my parents would show up; just a question as to how many of and which of my siblings would accompany them. they basically pulled a fast one on me!

we went to my room and talked for a while and caught up. it was Keith and Angela's first time to meet Julie so they enjoyed talking to her. Brian and Carla showed up right on time. i had seven visitors for parents' weekend and i was beaming. Brandon, Jessica and Kevin each had conflicts in their schedules and were unable to come. apparently the plan was for my parents, Keith, Angela and Monika was to drive to san francisco after they got of work on friday and stay the night with Brian and Carla, then meet me after my run.

i played tour guide most of the day; showing them where all my classes were, introducing them to people and basically sharing my college life with them. we joined Julie and her parents for dinner which was really nice. i absolutely loved having them there.

my birthday was sunday so we spent most of the day together before they were to leave at around four or five in the afternoon for the drive back to portland. we hung out in the morning then had a nice celebration lunch for my birthday.

i had the best gift for which i could have asked for this birthday, but there was one more surprise. all my family pitched in for a present which shocked and astounded me. it was a 32” lcd flat screen television. that was just about the only thing Julie and i did not have in our dorm room (we've been using a 13-inch emerson hand-me-down!). it's perfect. i love my family immensely. i could not have asked for more that weekend.

that guy

it was just about a month ago when Julie and i decided we would go out to a club to listen to some music. we were talking about it in the lobby of our dorm when a couple guys we had met a couple times previously overheard and asked it they could tag along. why not; the more the merrier. so we all went and had a pretty great time.

the four of us hung out all night then one of the guys and i ended up staying up the rest of the night getting to know each other better. he's really interesting and, unlike some guys, is very good at listening once he asks a question. we began seeing each other right after that.

now, to be honest, i don't have the best track record with relationships. it's just really a matter of not finding someone compatible. the guy and i always seem to be going in different directions. while i'm not necessarily looking for anything long-term, i know that it's just about at that time when that kind of things happens. i don't know what's going to happen in the weeks and months ahead, but i'm enjoying being with him right now. he's very considerate to my schedule and goals, which is extremely important to me.

i've met a couple of guys here and there, and i've mentioned them by name to people and on websites. those potential relationships didn't work out. this time, i decided to give him a nickname. thus, i am referring to him as That Guy.

he even came by and met my parents during their visit during parents' weekend, and i had the chance to meet his father.

but alas … that's another blog!

~ Kassandra

1 comment:

  1. Aw yay!! I'm so glad your family came to surprise you! I know that made your day! I love you and I miss talking to you! Stay happy!

    ReplyDelete